We still have a few copies of our History Book. we also have original copies of the centennial book, that were printed in 1971. Once these are gone there will be no more originals. We have pictures of the old down town, (these are in a collage of eight photos), along with a copy of the front page of The Monitor dated 1928. This is of Santa Claus with a sack of toys on his back, we have them in 8×10 and 5×7 frames. These would make great decorations. Stop by the museum on Saturday and take a look.
The annual Christmas Tour of Homes was a great success with approximately 100 people touring the homes. Thanks to all that toured the homes, also to Karlene Davis, Roy and Mary Jackson, Richard and Cheryl Omsby, Kent and Pam Hedgpeth for opening their homes.
“READIN, RITIN AND RITHMATIC” A new book to be published by the society pertaining to the Republic Area Rural Schools, and the Republic Public Schools prior to the consolidation. The book will consist of pictures and stories from that time era. We are so excited to be able to preserve history and include stores and pictures from individual class members from their school or schools. At this time we are requesting and urging anyone who attended a Republic area school to write a description of their school and tell a favorite story during their attendance, we will have a chapter for stories from the past if you attended a school out of the area.
No longer do we have a one room school with a coal or wood furnace in the corner or basement, water was pumped from a well outside the building, most of the rural schools did not have a kitchen,those children brought sack lunches from home if parents could afford a thermos, soup was a big treat during winter months, if a kitchen was available mothers would make a meal for the kids, bathrooms were outside, girls on one side of the building boys on the other, no bus transportation, the board consisted of the dad’s whose child or children attended their school, pie suppers to raise money, spelling bees, cyphering, map bees on the black board for fun times, outdoor Friday softball games, many different and long forgotten games played during recess or lunch time. A teacher taught all 8 grades throughout the day, for a few schools, a young person to the field of teaching would spend the school year with one of the parents.
We urge you to take a trip down memory lane and write your story of how education played a part in your life from a rural or city school during this time period, just a good story of how it was in a day of your life attending your school.Pictures would be a treasure to us, any pictures you have please send a copy or email to us.
Please mail all letters to REPUBLIC HISTORICAL SOCIETY 146 N. MAIN REPUBLIC MO 65738 IF YOU SHOULD HAVE QUESTIONS CALL 417-732-7702
OR EMAIL TO firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
More info to follow as we progress..
The area schools were; Bell Victory; Bennett; Beulah; Blades; Bluff; Brick; Brookline; Capernium; Center Point; Grandview; Gray; Green Ridge; Jones; Lindsey; Mt Aetna; Prairie View; Rountree; St Elmo; St Joe; Salem; Sherwood; Wise Hill; Republic Grade School;
The last surviving Civil War Veteran in Republic was, Enoch Williams. Enoch was born in 1840 and died in 1939, at 98 years old. Thank you Enoch and those who have gone before. What stories you could share with us.
Thursday, May 4, 1939
Death to Republic’s Last
Veteran of Civil War
Funeral services were conducted at the Hood M. E. church in Republic Tuesday afternoon by Rev. Imes for Enoch Williams, last veteran of the Civil War residing in Republic, who died Sunday. The Ladies of the G. A. R. conducted a flag service at the church and the Sons of Veterans were in charge of the services at the grave. The body, under the direction of R. E. Thurman, was then placed beside the wife in the Evergreen Cemetery.
Enoch Williams was born in Chester County, Pa., on July 8th, 1840. He died at his son’s home in Republic, Mo., April 30, 1939 at the advanced age of 98 years, 9 months, and 22 days. He resided, with his parents, in Pennsylvania until he was 12 years old, when the family removed to Iowa in 1852. Mr. Williams grew to young manhood in Iowa and in 1862, when Abraham Lincoln called for volunteers for the Union army he answered the call and enlisted in Company D, of the 24th Iowa Volunteers. He served with this company and regiment until the close of the Civil War.
During his service as a soldier, he was actively engaged in many of the major battles of the Civil War. Together with his comrades of Company D he fought at the battles of Cedar Creek , Champion Hill, Port Gibson, Sabine Cross Roads and the Siege of Vicksburg, where he received special citation. In addition to these major battles, he passed through many minor engagements. He had a record of having been present and participating in every battle in which his Company engaged during the war.
He was married to Mary S. Stuliff on February 7, 1867. To their union six children were born, three of whom survive. He was preceded in death by one son, two daughters and the beloved companion and mother. he surviving children are Mrs. W. P. Lumis of Kearney, Nebraska, J. E. and R. E. Williams of Republic. After his marriage he resided in Iowa for twenty-nine years. He then came to Springfield, were he remained for four years and in 1900 moved to Republic, where he spent the last thirty-nine years of his life.
When a young man, Mr. Williams was converted and united with the Methodist church in Mt. Vernon, Iowa. He retained his membership in the church of his choise until his death and in 1926, under the pastorate of Rev. Courtney he enrolled as a member of the church in Republic and was a member of that congregation at the time of his death. In the earlier life he was active in the work of his chosen church and was very regular in attendance of the services of worship. He always seemed pleased at the visits of the pastor, or of others who called on him in the interest of his church, and expressed a willingness to assist in any way he could.
During his illness he suffered much pain, but bore his suffering with fortitude as a Good Soldier of Jesus Christ and recently re ——————– that the time for his discharge from this life was very near. His mind was clear until near the last days, and he spent much time in prayer and communion with God, and approached the end without fear. He has gone to join his comrades in the great reunion beyond the grave.
Under the sod and the dew
Waiting the judgment day
Under the one the blue
Under the other the gray
Enoch Williams born 7/08/1840
Posted By: Mary Hitchcock <Mary_hitchcock@hotmail.com>
Date: 12/28/2005 at 14:58:21
Enoch Williams, farmer, Cedar township post-office Solon; was born in Chester County PA July 8, 1840, where ye spent his boyhood days, and is a son of George and Mary Williams. In the spring of 1856 they emigrated to Iowa and settled in Johnson County where he has since resided, and now owns 160 acres of well improved land. He was married February 7, 1867 to Mary s. Sutliff, daughter of Allen C. Sutliff, one of the pioneers of Johnson County. By this union there are five children now living, viz.: Allen G., Ellen G., Kate S., Jesse E. and Ralph E. Source: The History of Johnson County Iowa 1836-1882, p.950-951
U.S. Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles
about Enoch Williams
This list of marshals was taken from information gained in the minutes fron the Republic City record books.
John F Cliborne Jul 17, 1897-Sep 9, 1897
Henry Hayes Sep. 9, 1897-Apr 12, 1898
Bill Collison Apr 12, 1898-Apr 5, 1899
J. O. Kerr Apr 5, 1899-Apr 17, 1899
W. J. O’Neal Apr 17, 1899–Jul 17, 1899
John F. Clibrone Jul 17, 1899-Oct 23, 1899
William Collison Oct 23, 1899-Apr 4, 1900
Joseph Pearce Apr 4, 1900-Dec 22, 1900
J. M. Hill Dec 22, 1900-Apr 7, 1902
P. M. Young Apr 7, 1902-Apr 11, 1904
James G. Blades Apr 11, 1904-Nov 23, 1904
E. F. Collison Nov 23, 1904-Aug 7, 1905
J. A. Britain Aug 7, 1905-Jun 5, 1906
E. F. Collison Jun 5, 1906-1910
records missing until Apr 8, 1912
Sam Williams Apr 8, 1912-Apr 14, 1913
Mose Jones Apr 14, 1913
J. T. Carr Appointed to Saturday and Sunday nights and other night as needed.
W. H. Davis Jul 14, 1913-Apr 10, 1916
T. F. Plumlee Apr 10, 1916-Apr 14, 1921
Lou Carskaden Apr 14, 1921-Apr 14, 1924
Samuel T. Harrison Apr 14, 1924-Apr 9, 1928
M. S. Noe Apr 9, 1928-Jun 10, 1929 Council voted to p-lace a grave marker to be inscribed “Killed in Service”
E. A. Thurman Jun 10, 1929-Apr 14, 1930 appointed to take M.S. Noe’s place
F. E Royston Apr 14, 1930-Apr 11, 1932
Mose Jones Apr 11, 1932-Apr 10, 1933
G. W. Thurman Apr 10, 1933-Apr 13, 1936
Jim Perkins Apr 13, 1936-Apr 10, 1939
Frank Bridges Apr 10, 1939-Apr 13, 1942
Jim Perkins Apr 13, 1942-Apr 4, 1946
Joe Gaddy Apr 4, 1946 won election but would not accept. Jim Perkins appointed.
Jim Perkins Apr 8, 1946-Apr 14, 1947
Charlie Jones Apr 14, 1947-Apr 14, 1952
A. J. Hughes Apr 14, 1952-Apr 3, 1955
Joe Gaddy Apr 3, 1955-Apr 14, 1958
Leo Owen Apr 14, 1958-Apr 11, 1966
Roy Mathews Apr 11,. 1966-Aug 1, 1973
Bob Duvall Aug 1, 1973-Aug, 1979
Eugene Blades Aug. to Nov. 1979 acting police chief
Sam Hartsell Dec 1, 1979-Apr, 1985
Roy Graves Apr, 1985-May, 1986
Sam Harsell May, 1986-Nov, 2001
Darrell Crick Nov, 2001-Apr, 2002 Interim Police Chief
Mark Lowe Apr, 2002-present
If you need information about people or history of Republic or the surrounding area, please email with requests to firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 417-732-7702.
|History of Republic|
|Republic, Missouri began its existence as a typical crossroads station during the period from 1850 to 1860. Early settlers came from various Eastern states as Kentucky, Tennessee, and Virginia, bringing with traditions and customs peculiar to those states. Others came from New York, Illinois, Ohio, and Michigan. From the North and East they came, bringing their habits, beliefs, and customs. Among the first families to settle here were the names of Ritter, Noe, White, Claiborn, Hayes, Britain, Anderson, Blades, Beal, Brooks, Criswell, Davis, House, Howard, Hagewood, Howell, Land, London, McDaniel, Owen, O’Bryant, O’Neal, Pickering, Robertson, Rainey, Richardson, Short, Sparkman, Thurman, Williams, and Youngblood. Many citizens of Republic today are direct descendants of these early families.Little is known about how Republic got it’s name. Some of the older residents say that Mark Ritter and his sister, Mrs. Worsefield, (the first postmaster and his assistant), named it. Still others say that Uncle Billy Cliborn gave it the name it now bears.
Republic was located in the center of the township and in the midst, at that time, of a rich, thickly populated prairie and an excellent local trade. Republic, being situated on the Frisco Railroad, became a well-known shipping and traveling point.
Before the railroad was built, a small town called Little York, located a short distance from the present site of Brookline, had been the market center since the Civil War. Even before the war, Little York had been the center of trade for most of the countryside southwest of Springfield. After the war, the Frisco Railroad was built through this section (about 1869 and 1870.) The citizens of the then small community of Republic asked the Frisco Company to build a depot or a switch station at this site. The company refused. Mr. Noe, a citizen who had much faith in the future of Republic, raised subscriptions of $1,000 for the purpose of the depot. Republic is deeply indebted to Mr. Noe, not only for the railroad, but perhaps for its very existence. After the building of the railroad, Republic began to grow very rapidly. Little York was replaced by Brookline.
Brookline and Republic absorbed the country trade because of their now ready trade and marketing facilities. Trade was carried on mostly by exchange, there being little money and little need for it. The work of the surrounding community gradually made enough business to cause Republic to make a start.
Aside from farming, few industries were found in and around the little crossroads settlement at its earliest time. The first building, a storehouse, was built by W.H. Noe. This building was located on the site or the present site of Bacon Tire Company. This building became know as the old “red building.” Mr. Noe operated a general store stocked with such useful necessities as feed, flour, soap, harnesses, thread, kerosene, or almost anything needed in those days. This building stood longest of any of the old timers. H.A. White soon built the second store and a hall. The first dwelling house was built by the Reverend Loping, the second by Dr. Bartlett and others were soon erected. Eli H. Britain owned and operated a brick yard near his home just west of town (the present-day site of where West Elm Street joins Highway 166.) Two grain elevators were built. One of which the building is still standing, was located across the street from the lumber yard. The other was located about where the depot now stands. The site of Johnston Feed Mill was once the home of a thriving tomato factory. Republic also boasted of a cheese factory, which old timers declare bore all the earmarks of the genuine article.
The first post office was located one-half mile south of the depot. Just why the post office was so far out of town has not definitely been determined; however, one old timer jokingly said that it was because the Republicans were afraid the Democrats might take over, or possibly it was the other way around. Of course the location of the railroad was the other way around. Of course the location of the railroad was the obvious reason for bringing it back into town. Mark Ritter was the first postmaster, and his sister, Mrs. Worsefield, was his assistant.
A blacksmith shop, operated by Henry Hayes, was also Owen and Short Hardware for many years. The building formerly occupied by the Ford Motor Company on the east side of Main Street, was a livery stable. Traditionally speaking, it was the peak of fashion and the height of extravagance to be seen driving and impressive team of high-stepping horses from the livery stable.
For years a lime kiln was operated just south of town and employed quite a number of men. During the years 1904 and 1905, iron ore was mined and shipped from Republic.
The O’Neal Lumber Company was established in Republic more than 75 years ago. Mr. O’Neal was also prominent in the promotion of civic and church affairs.
The first flour mill was built in 1890 by R.C. Stone. Later it was remodeled and had a running capacity of 2,000 barrels every 24 hours. During the years between 1900 and 1907, the mill was operated night and day. At that time it was the largest flour mill in the Middle West, and carried the slogan “The World is Our Field.” Flour was shipped out to all sections of the United States. The mill was in the large, brick building on the corner of Elm and Main Streets.
Early life in the small community of Republic was very much like that of any other pioneer settlements. Homes were simple with few furnishings, but hones hearts and patient toil were at the back of every task begun. Hospitality, thrift, and a spirit of progress were worthy traits of character shown in the lives of the pioneers. The men worked in the field, woods, or shop, while their wives kept the house, spanked the children, made the garden and many other things to keep the home going. The greatest event of the spring was the observance of “groundhog day,” such a date being followed by “corn planting,” and “soap making,” both with proper regard for the light and dark of the moon. In the fall, crops were harvested and hogs were butchered. These events were of great importance as, of course, were Thanksgiving and Christmas. Activities of social life were few, the chief amusements being singing, spelling bees, and family gatherings. Food was plain and simple; corn bread, cured meat, vegetables, and dried fruits being the most common fare. Meat was cured and kept in a smoke house built for that purpose. Here originated some of the most famous hickory smoked ham and bacon, once tasted, was never forgotten. Often vegetables were buried for winter in a deep hole dug in the corner of the garden, lined with straw, and heaped in with thick layers of dirt. Nearly every family kept a barrel of molasses made from cane raised in their own field. These people made vinegar and raised chickens. Flour, brown sugar, and coffee could be bought at the general store.
Clothing was usually of the homespun variety with some muslin, gingham, shirting, and calico bought from the general store. Sometimes a seamstress, who was also a tailoress, was employed to go from house to house to make men’s suits and some of the more “well-to-do” women’s clothes.
Trade was carried on mostly by barter, or exchange, there being little money and little need for it. However, work in and around Republic increased and business began to grow. Gradually these early industries and places of business changed ownership or were replaced by new industries. Dairying, poultry, stock raising, and fruit growing replaced the one time general farming, and in 1971 new modern factories and businesses replaced most of the farming industries.
Republic began its educational and religious training almost from the beginning. The first school was a one room structure located on West Elm Street one block west of the present Chevrolet Company. This building was replaced by a two story brick one, which remained in use until the present elementary school was built in 1954. The bonds were voted on for the first time in 1892, and since that time many new and modern buildings have been erected to help Republic train it’s youth. In 1920, the first high school was built. In 1937, a gymnasium was added to the high school.
* * * * *
The Society is compiling three ring binders of the rural and city school pictures in the Republic area. Each binder contains pictures of different years for each school, with most being identified. For the Grandview Rural School we have a school picture dated 1896 with all students and the teachers named. If you were one of the fortunate children who attended one of these schools before consolidation, a copy of any picture or help in identifying students would be greatly appreciated. Stop by the museum any Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and check out our new adventure.