Archive for the ‘In The Begining’ Category

In The Begining

June 18, 2007

what-the-blg-look-like-in-the-early-days.jpgthe-republic-historical-society.jpg The picture on the left is what the building looked like in 1907, on right is the look in 2007.

The Republic Historical Society Inc,  was incorporated on Feb 25, 1997.  In 1997 the lower portion of this building became the home of the Republic Historical Society’s Museum.

The purpose of this Society shall be to bring together those people interested in the history of Republic, Missouri and the surrounding area.  The Society’s major function is to research, collect, and preserve any and all material which may help to establish or illustrate the history of the area.   Collect material illustrative of life conditions, events, and activities of the past and present.  The Society will provide for the preservation of such material and for its accessibility, as far as may be feasible, to all who wish to examine or study it.

In the pictures this corner lot was owned by John Salle who sold it in January of 1882 to John House.  Mr House opened a blacksmith shop on the lot until 1905, when he sold it to Eli Britain, who built the current building. Mr Britain and his son Everett, operated a general store, selling to Republic State Bank in 1911.  The bank remodeled the building, moving the stairway and adding a vault that remains today.  The bank closed in 1929, selling the building to the Masonic Lodge No. 570 in the early 1930’s.  The post Office occupied this space for 31 years. Later a dairy supply store was located there. The City Hall moved into it in 1963.  We are currently using the lower part of this building for our meetings and as our Museum.