17th Annual Christmas Tour of Homes

December 3, 2015

This will be the 17th Annual Christmas Tour of Homes, a mix of older homes along with newer homes, the County Club will also be on the tour.

Stop by the museum at 146 N. Main  from 10 A.M. to 2 P.M. on Saturday’s.

                       Tour of Homes     

Saturday, December 2, 2017

12:00 Noon – 5:00 p.m.

$8.00 Per Person   

 Proceeds Benefit the Republic History Museum

Tickets may be purchased at the homes listed below the day of tour;

   Republic History Museum, 146 North Main Street

Any Saturday 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. or

10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. the day of tour;

or from any Historical Society Member.

 The stops on the self-guided tour are:

 Sarah and Justin Hart                    13782 West Browning Lane, Billings

Erik and Sheila Szewczyk               3153 South Farm Road 45

Michelle & Noel Spering                   768 S. Long Drive (Brookline area)            

Ron and Sandy Peabody                5133 South State Highway ZZ

Island Green Golf Course               169 Country Club Drive,  (P Hwy)

 Stop by the museum at 146 N. Main for tour tickets with route information.Be sure to purchase raffle tickets for Basket; Afghan; Leland Brown’s book entitled Looking Back… a Memoir of Republic Sports 1913-1969; a Spa basket; and more.  

Raffle tickets are $1.00 each or 6 for $5.00.





Obituary Collection

April 12, 2015

We have obituaries in the research area of the museum. If your are researching a family member, the obituary may have information that will list dates or children you do not have in your family tree. The collection began in 2007, with anyone living in the Republic area listed in the obit. People have donated obituaries that were in their collection dating in the 1930’s which have been added. We have them in three ring binders with a card file index. We are trying to record any place the obit appears in print to the files (funeral home, Springfield News Leader. Republic Monitor, etc). If you have need for one of our member’s to research a family member there will be a small fee.  You may contact the society at rob112241@yahoo.com, or 417-732-7702.

Early Years of Republic High School Athletics

April 12, 2015


December 13, 2014

We still have a few copies of our History Book. we also have original copies of the centennial book, that were printed in 1971. Once these are gone there will be no more originals. We have pictures of the old down town, (these are in a collage of eight photos), along with a copy of the front page of The Monitor dated 1928. This is of Santa Claus with a sack of toys on his back, we have them in 8×10 and 5×7 frames. These would make great decorations. Stop by the museum on Saturday and take a look.

A New Book in the planning stages

April 4, 2014

“READIN, RITIN AND RITHMATIC”  A new book to be published by the society pertaining to the Republic Area Rural Schools, and  the Republic Public Schools prior to  the consolidation.  The book will consist of pictures and stories from that time era.  We are so excited to be able to preserve history and include stores and pictures from individual class members from their school or schools.   At this time we are requesting and urging anyone who attended a Republic area school to write a description of their school and tell a favorite story during their attendance, we will have a chapter  for stories from the past if you attended a school out of the area.

No longer do we have a one room school with a coal or wood furnace in the corner or basement, water was pumped from a well outside the building,  most of the rural schools did not have a kitchen,those children brought sack lunches from home if parents could afford a thermos, soup was a big treat during winter months, if a kitchen was available mothers would make a meal for the kids,  bathrooms were outside,  girls on one side of the building boys on the other,  no bus transportation, the board consisted of the dad’s whose child or children  attended their school, pie suppers to raise money, spelling bees, cyphering, map bees on the black board for fun times, outdoor Friday softball games, many different and long forgotten games played during recess or lunch time.  A teacher taught all 8 grades throughout the day, for a few schools,  a young person to the field of teaching would spend the school year with one of the parents.

We urge you to take a trip down memory lane and write your story of how education played a part in your life from a rural or city school  during this time period,  just a good story of how it was in a day of your life attending your school.Pictures would be a treasure to us, any pictures you have please send a copy or email to us.

Please mail all letters to REPUBLIC HISTORICAL SOCIETY        146 N. MAIN          REPUBLIC  MO  65738                IF YOU SHOULD HAVE QUESTIONS  CALL 417-732-7702

OR EMAIL TO    msr31141@yahoo.com           or rob112241@yahoo.com.

More info to follow as we progress..

The area schools were; Bell Victory; Bennett; Beulah; Blades; Bluff; Brick; Brookline; Capernium; Center Point; Grandview; Gray; Green Ridge; Jones; Lindsey; Mt Aetna; Prairie View; Rountree; St Elmo; St Joe; Salem; Sherwood; Wise Hill; Republic Grade School;

To Honor our Veteran’s

June 2, 2012

To go along with honoring our veterans’  Republic has built a Veterans’ Memorial, for those who have served their country. You may purchase a brick for an individual at the Republic Community Center, for $100.00. This web-site will lead you to a list of those individuals, http://theamprepublic.com.


The last surviving Civil War Veteran in Republic was, Enoch Williams.   Enoch was born in 1840 and died in 1939, at 98 years old.  Thank you Enoch and those who have gone before.  What stories you could share with us.

Republic Record

Thursday, May 4, 1939



Death to Republic’s Last

Veteran of Civil War


Funeral services were conducted at the Hood M. E. church in Republic Tuesday afternoon by Rev. Imes for Enoch Williams, last veteran of the Civil War residing in Republic, who died Sunday.  The Ladies of the G. A. R. conducted a flag service at the church and the Sons of Veterans were in charge of the services at the grave.  The body, under the direction of R. E. Thurman, was then placed beside the wife in the Evergreen Cemetery.

Enoch Williams was born in Chester County, Pa., on July 8th, 1840.  He died at his son’s home in Republic, Mo., April 30, 1939 at the advanced age of 98 years, 9 months, and 22 days.  He resided, with his parents,  in Pennsylvania until he was 12 years old, when the family removed to Iowa in 1852.  Mr. Williams grew to young manhood in Iowa and in 1862, when Abraham Lincoln called for volunteers for the Union army he answered the call and enlisted in Company D, of the 24th Iowa Volunteers.  He served with this company and regiment until the close of the Civil War.

During his service as a soldier, he was actively engaged in many of the major battles of the Civil War.  Together with his comrades of Company D he fought at the battles of Cedar Creek , Champion Hill, Port Gibson, Sabine Cross Roads and the Siege of Vicksburg, where he received special citation.  In addition to these major battles, he passed through many minor engagements.   He had a record of having been present and participating in every battle in which his Company engaged during the war.

He was married to Mary S. Stuliff on February 7, 1867.   To their union six children were born, three of whom survive.  He was preceded in death by one son, two daughters and  the beloved companion and mother.  he surviving children are Mrs. W. P. Lumis of Kearney, Nebraska, J. E. and R. E. Williams of Republic.  After his marriage he resided in Iowa for twenty-nine years.  He then came to Springfield, were he remained for four years and in 1900 moved to Republic, where he spent the last thirty-nine years of his life.

When a young  man, Mr. Williams was converted and united with the Methodist church in Mt. Vernon, Iowa.  He retained his membership in the church of his choise until his death and in 1926, under the pastorate of Rev. Courtney he enrolled as a member of the church in Republic and was a member of that congregation at the time of his death.  In the earlier life he was active in the work of his chosen church and was very regular in attendance of the services  of worship.  He always seemed pleased at the visits of the pastor, or of others who called on him in the interest of his church, and expressed a willingness to assist in any way he could.

During his illness he suffered much pain, but bore his suffering with fortitude as a Good Soldier of Jesus Christ and recently re ——————– that the time for his discharge from this life was very near.  His mind was clear until near the last days, and he spent much time in prayer and communion with God, and approached the end without fear.  He has gone to join his comrades in the great reunion beyond the grave.

Under the sod and the dew

Waiting the judgment day

Under the one the blue

Under the other the gray

Enoch Williams born 7/08/1840


Posted By: Mary Hitchcock <Mary_hitchcock@hotmail.com>
Date: 12/28/2005 at 14:58:21

Enoch Williams, farmer, Cedar township post-office Solon; was born in Chester County PA July 8, 1840, where ye spent his boyhood days, and is a son of George and Mary Williams. In the spring of 1856 they emigrated to Iowa and settled in Johnson County where he has since resided, and now owns 160 acres of well improved land. He was married February 7, 1867 to Mary s. Sutliff, daughter of Allen C. Sutliff, one of the pioneers of Johnson County. By this union there are five children now living, viz.: Allen G., Ellen G., Kate S., Jesse E. and Ralph E. Source: The History of Johnson County Iowa 1836-1882, p.950-951

U.S. Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles
about Enoch Williams


Enoch Williams


Johnson County, Iowa

Age at enlistment:


Enlistment Date:

16 Aug 1862

Rank at enlistment:


State Served:


Survived the War?:


Service Record:

Enlisted in Company D, Iowa 24th     Infantry Regiment on 04 Sep 1862.
Promoted to Full 6th Corporal on 03 Nov 1864.
Promoted to Full 5th Corporal on 01 Jun 1865.
Mustered out on 17 Jul 1865 at Savannah, GA.
Promoted to Full 4th Corporal on 08 Jun 1865.

Birth Date:

8 Jul 1840

Death Date:

30 Apr 1939


Roster & Record of Iowa Soldiers in     the War of Rebellion
Research by R. Ross Houston

How to reach the Republic Historical Society

September 7, 2011

The Museum  opens on Saturday’s 10 AM to 2 PM

Phone 417-732-7702, Cell 417-343-1847, 417-343-9352  or Phone 417-732-2181

email rob112241@yahoo.com or msr31141@yahoo.com

Marshals and Police Chiefs

September 7, 2011

This list of marshals was taken from information gained in the minutes from the Republic City record books, as listed in the Republic, Missouri  History and Families History book printed 2007.


John F Cliborne          Jul 17, 1897-Sep 9, 1897

Henry Hayes                Sep. 9, 1897-Apr 12, 1898

Bill Collison                  Apr 12, 1898-Apr 5, 1899

J. O. Kerr                       Apr 5, 1899-Apr 17, 1899

W. J. O’Neal                  Apr 17, 1899–Jul 17, 1899

John F. Clibrone           Jul 17, 1899-Oct 23, 1899

William Collison            Oct 23, 1899-Apr 4, 1900

Joseph Pearce                Apr 4, 1900-Dec 22, 1900

J. M. Hill                          Dec  22, 1900-Apr 7, 1902

P. M. Young                     Apr 7, 1902-Apr 11, 1904

James G. Blades              Apr 11, 1904-Nov 23, 1904

E. F. Collison                    Nov 23, 1904-Aug 7, 1905

Special Police

J. A. Britain                       Aug 7, 1905-Jun 5, 1906


E. F. Collison                      Jun 5, 1906-1910

Thanks to Robert Kohlstedt, Historian for the El Dorado County Sheriffs Office, in California, found that Claybourne Newton Coker was  the Republic Marshal in these missing records.

records missing were 1910 through  April 8 1912

C. N. Coker                          1910 – Apr 7, 1912

Sam Williams                       Apr 8, 1912-Apr 14, 1913

Mose Jones                           Apr 14, 1913

J. T. Carr                                Appointed to Saturday and Sunday nights and other nights as needed.

W. H. Davis                           Jul 14, 1913-Apr 10, 1916

T. F. Plumlee                         Apr 10, 1916-Apr 14, 1921

Lou Carskaden                      Apr 14, 1921-Apr 14, 1924

Samuel T. Harrison              Apr 14, 1924-Apr 9, 1928

M. S. Noe                                Apr 9, 1928-Jun 10, 1929   Council voted to place a grave marker to be inscribed “Killed in Service”

E. A. Thurman                       Jun 10, 1929-Apr 14, 1930    appointed to take M.S. Noe’s place

F. E Royston                           Apr 14, 1930-Apr 11, 1932

Mose Jones                             Apr 11, 1932-Apr 10, 1933

G. W. Thurman                      Apr 10, 1933-Apr 13, 1936

Jim Perkins                             Apr 13, 1936-Apr 10, 1939

Frank Bridges                         Apr 10, 1939-Apr 13, 1942

Jim Perkins                             Apr 13, 1942-Apr 4, 1946

Joe Gaddy                                Apr 4, 1946 won election but would not accept.  Jim Perkins appointed.

Jim Perkins                              Apr 8, 1946-Apr 14, 1947

Charlie Jones                           Apr 14, 1947-Apr 14, 1952

A. J. Hughes                             Apr 14, 1952-Apr 3, 1955

Joe Gaddy                                 Apr 3, 1955-Apr 14, 1958

Leo Owen                                   Apr 14, 1958-Apr 11, 1966

Police Chief’s

Roy Mathews                            Apr 11,. 1966-Aug 1, 1973

Bob Duvall                                 Aug 1, 1973-Aug, 1979

Eugene Blades                           Aug. to Nov. 1979 acting police chief

Sam Hartsell                              Dec 1, 1979-Apr, 1985

Roy Graves                                 Apr, 1985-May, 1986

Sam Hartsell                                May, 1986-Nov, 2001

Darrell Crick                               Nov, 2001-Apr, 2002       Interim Police Chief

Mark Lowe                                  Apr, 2002-Jan 2015

Mike Lawton                               May, 2015-present

If you need information from the Society

October 20, 2010

If you need information about people or history of Republic or the surrounding area, please email with requests  to   rob112241@yahoo.com  or phone 417-732-7702.

Thank you


History of Republic

April 8, 2010
History of Republic


Republic, Missouri began its existence as a typical crossroads station during the period from 1850 to 1860. Early settlers came from various Eastern states as Kentucky, Tennessee, and Virginia, bringing with traditions and customs peculiar to those states. Others came from New York, Illinois, Ohio, and Michigan. From the North and East they came, bringing their habits, beliefs, and customs. Among the first families to settle here were the names of Ritter, Noe, White, Claiborn, Hayes, Britain, Anderson, Blades, Beal, Brooks, Criswell, Davis, House, Howard, Hagewood, Howell, Land, London, McDaniel, Owen, O’Bryant, O’Neal, Pickering, Robertson, Rainey, Richardson, Short, Sparkman, Thurman, Williams, and Youngblood. Many citizens of Republic today are direct descendants of these early families.Little is known about how Republic got it’s name. Some of the older residents say that Mark Ritter and his sister, Mrs. Worsefield, (the first postmaster and his assistant), named it. Still others say that Uncle Billy Cliborn gave it the name it now bears.

Republic was located in the center of the township and in the midst, at that time, of a rich, thickly populated prairie and an excellent local trade. Republic, being situated on the Frisco Railroad, became a well-known shipping and traveling point.

Before the railroad was built, a small town called Little York, located a short distance from the present site of Brookline, had been the market center since the Civil War. Even before the war, Little York had been the center of trade for most of the countryside southwest of Springfield. After the war, the Frisco Railroad was built through this section (about 1869 and 1870.) The citizens of the then small community of Republic asked the Frisco Company to build a depot or a switch station at this site. The company refused. Mr. Noe, a citizen who had much faith in the future of Republic, raised subscriptions of $1,000 for the purpose of the depot. Republic is deeply indebted to Mr. Noe, not only for the railroad, but perhaps for its very existence. After the building of the railroad, Republic began to grow very rapidly. Little York was replaced by Brookline.

Brookline and Republic absorbed the country trade because of their now ready trade and marketing facilities. Trade was carried on mostly by exchange, there being little money and little need for it. The work of the surrounding community gradually made enough business to cause Republic to make a start.

Aside from farming, few industries were found in and around the little crossroads settlement at its earliest time. The first building, a storehouse, was built by W.H. Noe. This building was located on the site or the present site of Bacon Tire Company. This building became know as the old “red building.” Mr. Noe operated a general store stocked with such useful necessities as feed, flour, soap, harnesses, thread, kerosene, or almost anything needed in those days. This building stood longest of any of the old timers. H.A. White soon built the second store and a hall. The first dwelling house was built by the Reverend Loping, the second by Dr. Bartlett and others were soon erected. Eli H. Britain owned and operated a brick yard near his home just west of town (the present-day site of where West Elm Street joins Highway 166.) Two grain elevators were built. One of which the building is still standing, was located across the street from the lumber yard. The other was located about where the depot now stands. The site of Johnston Feed Mill was once the home of a thriving tomato factory. Republic also boasted of a cheese factory, which old timers declare bore all the earmarks of the genuine article.

The first post office was located one-half mile south of the depot. Just why the post office was so far out of town has not definitely been determined; however, one old timer jokingly said that it was because the Republicans were afraid the Democrats might take over, or possibly it was the other way around. Of course the location of the railroad was the other way around. Of course the location of the railroad was the obvious reason for bringing it back into town. Mark Ritter was the first postmaster, and his sister, Mrs. Worsefield, was his assistant.

A blacksmith shop, operated by Henry Hayes, was also Owen and Short Hardware for many years. The building formerly occupied by the Ford Motor Company on the east side of Main Street, was a livery stable. Traditionally speaking, it was the peak of fashion and the height of extravagance to be seen driving and impressive team of high-stepping horses from the livery stable.

For years a lime kiln was operated just south of town and employed quite a number of men. During the years 1904 and 1905, iron ore was mined and shipped from Republic.

The O’Neal Lumber Company was established in Republic more than 75 years ago. Mr. O’Neal was also prominent in the promotion of civic and church affairs.

The first flour mill was built in 1890 by R.C. Stone. Later it was remodeled and had a running capacity of 2,000 barrels every 24 hours. During the years between 1900 and 1907, the mill was operated night and day. At that time it was the largest flour mill in the Middle West, and carried the slogan “The World is Our Field.” Flour was shipped out to all sections of the United States. The mill was in the large, brick building on the corner of Elm and Main Streets.

Early life in the small community of Republic was very much like that of any other pioneer settlements. Homes were simple with few furnishings, but hones hearts and patient toil were at the back of every task begun. Hospitality, thrift, and a spirit of progress were worthy traits of character shown in the lives of the pioneers. The men worked in the field, woods, or shop, while their wives kept the house, spanked the children, made the garden and many other things to keep the home going. The greatest event of the spring was the observance of “groundhog day,” such a date being followed by “corn planting,” and “soap making,” both with proper regard for the light and dark of the moon. In the fall, crops were harvested and hogs were butchered. These events were of great importance as, of course, were Thanksgiving and Christmas. Activities of social life were few, the chief amusements being singing, spelling bees, and family gatherings. Food was plain and simple; corn bread, cured meat, vegetables, and dried fruits being the most common fare. Meat was cured and kept in a smoke house built for that purpose. Here originated some of the most famous hickory smoked ham and bacon, once tasted, was never forgotten. Often vegetables were buried for winter in a deep hole dug in the corner of the garden, lined with straw, and heaped in with thick layers of dirt. Nearly every family kept a barrel of molasses made from cane raised in their own field. These people made vinegar and raised chickens. Flour, brown sugar, and coffee could be bought at the general store.

Clothing was usually of the homespun variety with some muslin, gingham, shirting, and calico bought from the general store. Sometimes a seamstress, who was also a tailoress, was employed to go from house to house to make men’s suits and some of the more “well-to-do” women’s clothes.

Trade was carried on mostly by barter, or exchange, there being little money and little need for it. However, work in and around Republic increased and business began to grow. Gradually these early industries and places of business changed ownership or were replaced by new industries. Dairying, poultry, stock raising, and fruit growing replaced the one time general farming, and in 1971 new modern factories and businesses replaced most of the farming industries.

Republic began its educational and religious training almost from the beginning. The first school was a one room structure located on West Elm Street one block west of the present Chevrolet Company. This building was replaced by a two story brick one, which remained in use until the present elementary school was built in 1954. The bonds were voted on for the first time in 1892, and since that time many new and modern buildings have been erected to help Republic train it’s youth. In 1920, the first high school was built. In 1937, a gymnasium was added to the high school.

* * * * *
Since then, Republic has become a thriving community and is constantly growing and will continue to grow into a prosperous city.

< Prev   Next >